Skip to main content

It's OK to be a loner...

So - ordinarily, The Bungalow Blogger is all things bungalow renovation, country living and general lifestyle...but whilst out walking our crazy and wonderful spaniel I saw something that inspired me to write (a long and waffly post) about something I feel quite passionate about.

I saw a single poppy, just chilling in a crop field - just there on its own, no other poppies around, growing happily, blossoming and looking pretty healthy! Not only did I feel inspired to take a photo, but, I also thought - it kind of reminded me of....me.


I've never been afraid of my own company (I'm an only child), and I've never been someone who's been naturally surrounded by lots of 'friends'. I admit though, growing up I was always conscious and concerned about my lack of 'friends' - and undoubtedly the introduction of social media didn't help. It often seemed like the 'poppy'ular (do you see what I did there) kids were the happy kids - surrounded by large groups of people...even now in my thirties, I come across people all the time that seem to need to be surrounded by numbers of people to feel happy...

As I've grown older (and a little wiser) I've (for the most part) accepted that it's OK to be a bit of a...to put it bluntly...loner! I am lucky that I met my best friend and soul mate when I was 17 and even luckier to marry him when I was 29! There's lots of sayings that suggest girls need friends over boys  - but if you find your best friend and he/she happens to be your boyfriend/partner too what can be better....after all, you're going to be living with them for the rest of your life (all being well!).

When it comes to friends, I personally have just a handful of people I consider true friends - by which I mean people who I enjoy spending time with, going for dinner with and chatting with. Over the years I've considered a few people to be 'best friends' - but have questioned whether they've considered me to be their 'best friend' - and often in time it's transpired that perhaps I wasn't. I'd consider myself relatively low-maintenance when it comes to friendship (admittedly not in some other walks of life!). I don't ask much, if anything of friends...and that's probably because I have learnt to be quite content in my own company. If people want to spend time with me, or get in touch with me (or reply when I get in touch with them) then great...but if they don't - I'm OK with that too...

In summary, friends are great...but they can be complicated, and high maintenance (something I learnt the hard way), and some friends can be chilled and easy going (some so much that you rarely hear from them) - I think essentially, to really be happy and get the very most from your friendships, you must first be content in your own company. If you can truly embrace who you are then the right friendships will follow - but if you are dependant on others for happiness you may never find true happiness....!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Stay Warm in a Colder House

So yes, harping on about it again....we live in a VERY cold house, and recently it snowed....alot! Part of this renovation project is the installation of a full central heating system. So far we've installed a Biomass boiler, which is heating our water, and in time will heat the whole house with a mix of rads and a retro-fitted wet under floor heating system. However, for now as we are still in the planning stages of room layout we are living with electric, fluid-filled, wall mounted heaters. I...am also living with my in-house accountant/husband...so, needless to say these heaters are used sparingly! We've installed a log-burner (yipee!), but we are currently plastering and painting the lounge so it's out of action (booo). The heaters in the house do come on via a timer system, but only in select rooms...so the long and short of it is, the house feels chilly (and in some rooms that are not in use is as low as 4-6 degrees at the moment!). On the whole though we

Chilli Penguin Woody Stove Review | Maiden Lighting

If you've been reading my blog posts, you'll know that we've been sort of renovating our lounge (more by accident than design) in order to enable us to install a log burner for the winter. The 1960's bungalow that we finally purchased in May 2017 doesn't benefit from central heating (just individual electric heaters), and there is no mains gas to the property. While we've been making decisions on the best route forward for a central heating system, we thought we'd crack on an install a log burner to give us a source of heat, and also because a fireplace with log burner is sympathetic to the house, the style we are looking to go for and it's stunning country village surroundings. We were fortunate that there was already a chimney and constructional hearth in place, so it was a case of getting rid of the original decorative fireplace and opening up the original fireplace to accommodate a burner.  The original decorative fireplace - for a

Is Farrow and Ball Worth the Money? Choosing and Using Farrow and Ball

If you’re reading this blog, then perhaps, like us, you’re embarking on a re-decorating or renovation project, someone has recommended using Farrow and Ball and your wondering 'is it really worth the money?'.  Choosing For us, the recommendations had come in thick and fast. Everyone from our (rather fabulous) dog groomer (Ruth at The Cotswold Grooming Co) to the MD where I work had raved about Farrow and Ball; “the coverage is great”, “the colours are outstanding”, “it’s really worth the money” – and so much to Rich’s dismay, we ended up in the Farrow and Ball section of the paint aisle at Homebase. Of course, we did due diligence and looked at other paint brands, everything from low to middle range…and left empty handed with nothing but a colour chart and a few colour swatch cards. Paint looks so different under the lights at mainstream DIY stores, and having already chosen our curtains, we were keen to ensure the paint complimented the curtains as well